Unique quilts ~
Designed and Created by Mary Hedrick Couch
Sunset Beach, NC
Sidetracked by a postcard!
Gee... wasn't I going to clean the house and then prepare the Beef Wellington?? It's only 11:10, I still have time. I was sidetracked by my friend's birthday. It's all Elizabeth's fault!! I went upstairs and there was my sewing machine begging for a few minutes of my time. I started thinking Elizabeth would love a postcard for her birthday. She would really love a picture of an egret in the salt marshes... it will only take a few minutes...
I can justify anything!
What fun! I think she will be very surprised! I'll be grateful if it even makes it!
Keep stitchin' for the ones you love!
Hugs from Mary
I'm finished!!! After lots of taping and delicate painting, I can now say... "I love it!" Our address numbers will stand out bold and proud on this quilt block.
The exterior of the house is the same color as the center light sage green.
So, drum roll please... here it is...
The next step is to spray a clear satin polyurethane to seal and protect the paint. After that DH and I will seal the plywood edges with a waterproof clear caulking and put a wood fame around the edges that will be painted the maroon/brown. When I get the barn quilt square hung on the house with the numbers I'll post it. By the way...Head on over to Tops and Bobbins for a "Thankful" give-away!
Keep stitchin' for those sweet loved ones.
Hugs from Mary
This blog entry has nothing to do with quilting, or maybe it does... You decide after you read the "How To". I got this idea from a friend who has a very clever sister. I'm going to show you how simple it is to make a floor cloth. You're probably thinking the Colonial floor cloths that were labor intensive made with heavy canvas and required numerous steps, creativity, patience, hemming... Well just stick with me and I'll show you what my problem was and how I solved it. I had this area, and wanted to protect the wood floor, because the kitchen is always a major traffic area, especially when it leads to the laundry room. Plus it was an irregular shape with the sink and stove top cabinets extending out more that the other cabinets.
So, I used this... Yep, that's just cheap vinyl flooring!
And accomplished this by flipping the vinyl over and painting the other side!
Ha! You don't believe me?... You want proof? Well, check it out...
I think I am finished with the Blue Ridge Quilt. My purpose in making this wall hanging was two fold. I wanted a nice thank you gift for our friends and I wanted to do a dry run on the four trees. In an earlier post I shared that the trees are from a McKenna Ryan pattern. I didn't want to just jump in and do the beautiful pattern without practicing on the trees first. I am so glad I did! I improved my technique... well, actually I didn't even have a technique :-) I practiced free motion quilting ( don't look too closely). I played with colors. One thing I am getting good at is mitered corners on the binding of my wall hangings. I like the blue binding and how it enhances the mountains. Speaking of the mountains, I'm happy with the way they turned out. They appear to have the depth I was hoping for. I need to focus on shadows. When I visit other blogs, the real pros can do shadows beautifully and that's what makes it all look so real. I need to research how to do …