For the Bride

This weekend we are going to the wedding of our daughter's friend... a very good friend from 5th grade. I wanted to make her something special to wear on her wedding day... Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

It's all wrapped up in these garters. The 'old' is a penny for the year the bride and groom were born. The 'new' is a new 2011 penny for the year of their wedding. Both pennies hang from the bow of the top garter in tulle 'pockets'. Something borrowed... well, I'm still working on that one... Something blue is, of course, the blue garters. I also added a small bit of rice for the traditional rice at the wedding. (Don't tell the bride, but it really means fertility, or, in other words... start making babies!!!)

I make two garters for the brides because the top one is a keepsake and the bottom garter gets thrown to the bachelors.  I once did garters for a wedding on the beach. The center of the bow had tiny sea shells glued on. At a Scottish wedding I made garters with tartan plaid ribbons. All garters I've made had pennies from the bride and groom's birth years and a penny for the year of their wedding. Pennies also add the Good Luck factor to it all.  I always include the rice. Mothers of both the bride and groom love that part.

I need to get started on my Ghastlies Project. I have a great idea for it and can hardly wait to show y'all.
Hugs from Mary

Comments

  1. They are beautiful! So much thought and very creative. The end of the rhyme is 'and a silver six pence in your shoe'! I think adding shoes would be a bit OTT though ;) Excited to see you project x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ghastly Party... It's BYOB!

April Showers Mug Rug Blog Hop