Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tree Tops is Finished!

This is it! I'm finished... well, almost. My DH needs to make a wooden frame so that I can wrap the edges around it and staple gun it all in place. About a quarter inch will show of the outer border on the front and then it will wrap around and show on the sides. I also need to clean finish the border edges with a nice quarter inch hem so that it looks finished and neat on the back. I take lengths of grosgrain ribbon and glue it down to cover the staples.  This piece is going into a local art gallery for sale and I want a professional looking back.

One of the things I've done on this since last posting it was to create more contrast in the trees. I made the right side shadows on the trunks darker. I also used a white oil pastel and made the left sides of the trunks brighter. I then took an olive green oil pastel and added mossy areas to the trunks. The trees seem to pop more from the background and I like that better.

This has been a great experiment, and I gained confidence in using the fabric markers and oil pastels. I would never had tried it without reading The Art of Landscape Quilting by Zieman and Sewell. I guess I'm ready for their next project.

Or maybe I need to start making my Ghastly project for the Ghastlies Blog Hop!

You know what to do... Keep stitchin' for the ones you love!
Hugs,
Mary

5 comments:

  1. THis is so beautiful! I am so drawn to trees and these birch trunks are especially pleasing. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless. The additional contrast makes it look more awesomer! I know it's not a real word, but it just sums up my reaction. You knocked this one out of the park!

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome, I don't know how you can bear to part with it. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete