In the Tree Tops Project Lesson

I'm working my way through Nancy Zieman and Natalie Sewell's book:
The Art of Landscape Quilting.

 The first project spins off of Sewell's art quilt In the Tree Tops. These talented ladies claim it is an easy one to start with as there is no ground cover and it is a close up view. As they recommend, I used only three fabrics. They do a very good job of teaching you how to enhance the tree trunks and background with fabric markers and oil pastels. I'm not disappointed with the book. However, I may be overly criticizing my first attempt, or.... maybe not.

 I shadowed the right side of the trunks with black Sharpee Marker and black oil pastels. It takes a lot of nerve to draw on a lovely batik with a black marker! I found I could soften the effect by going over the stark black with gray oil pastel. Then I took a deep breath and forged on. It was very scary! My background trees do not look like the authors. I guess when they do I'll write a book.

The authors advise you not to FMQ the tree trunks. Stitching the sides in place is all that is necessary. I do have to admit that they seem rounded and three dimensional. So... they must know what they're talking about! I did FMQ the drawn in trees, but left the tiny drawn branches alone.  ** I didn't FMQ any of the blue background. Do I need to? The picture shows ripples. Maybe I should stretch this on a wooden frame. (Oh, honey... build a frame for me.) I've got to research and see if this calls for background FMQ...Maybe it would make it too busy. SCREAM! I need a glass of wine, you say?? Sensational idea.

I plan to use a black/brown batik as the binding. I think that will help draw out the tones in the trunks and bring them back to life. I was also glad to see I hadn't forgotten how to do mitered corners. My borders are from the ever beautiful Stonehenge collection.

Keep stitchin' for the ones you love... I do.
Hugs,
Mary

Comments

  1. It looks wonderful to me. I think it is very brave of you to follow their directions even though it seems scary. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful! Im of the school'whatever I like works' so I wouldnt stress about doing it exactly like the book says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful too!! Might be something I have to try too. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary-it is awesome! Seems like you are a perfectionist, and your own worst critic. I would be floating on a cloud if I could do half as well. Pat yourself on the back. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I may have to get the book just for the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that piece!!!! Just love it!!!! Enjoy the wine...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking so pretty! I'm not brave enough to try one of these quilts yet. I really love how yours is turning out.

    Enjoy the wine!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ghastly Party... It's BYOB!

April Showers Mug Rug Blog Hop