Another Sunset Beach Wall Hanging

Welcome Autumn weather! Our humidity is nearly gone and we now have cool nights. So, that means take picnic dinners to the beach, walk, swim, relax and watch the sunset. How on earth can that happen on the east coast of NC? When you look at the map of the eastern USA, you will see that a part of NC juts in and faces south. That's where we are. We sit on the beach and realize the sun rises on our left and sets on the right. Very weird feeling when you're trying to get your bearings.

So... with all this lovely evening beach time I start thinking about a quilt hanging. Here's the beginning. Not much to look at yet. I've done several things. I want a calm evening ocean, so the free motion stitching in the blue is relaxing simple lines. Perhaps I'll only stitch in a few white caps with the white silk thread. I'm also going to add a small amount of the white foam at the edge of the water with the same thread.
The dunes are not going to be as large as the area appears. I want to try softly folding that fabric to give the illusion of the dunes. I have also put extra layers of batting under the dune area to make them look puffier. Somehow I want to shadow in a very soft pink from the right side so that it will appear that the evening pink sky is reflecting on the dunes. Gulp! Noble idea, but how the heck do I do that??? Experiment, Mary, experiment. Never mind that the fabric cost a fortune... play with it. Maybe I should talk with the art teacher down the street. Of course the dunes will also have the ever famous grasses and sea oats. This should be a fun one the fiddle with.
Keep stitchin for the ones you love.
Hugs,
Mary

Comments

  1. Mary, I know I'm going to love this when it's done just from what you're describing. If this is going to be a wall hanging, have you thought about using chalks (like what's used in scrapbooking) to lightly shade in a color? You could try it on scraps and see if it works for you. I admit to having never tried it on fabric, but it's what came to mind when you mentioned adding a touch of pink. Look forward to the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun project and love it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is going to be great! Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ghastly Party... It's BYOB!

April Showers Mug Rug Blog Hop