Finished Blue Ridge Quilt

 I think I am finished with the Blue Ridge Quilt. My purpose in making this wall hanging was two fold. I wanted a nice thank you gift for our friends and I wanted to do a dry run on the four trees. In an earlier post I shared that the trees are from a McKenna Ryan pattern. I didn't want to just jump in and do the beautiful pattern without practicing on the trees first. I am so glad I did! I improved my technique... well, actually I didn't even have a technique :-)  I practiced free motion quilting ( don't look too closely). I  played with colors. One thing I am getting good at is mitered corners on the binding of my wall hangings. I like the blue binding and how it enhances the mountains.
Speaking of the mountains, I'm happy with the way they turned out. They appear to have the depth I was hoping for. I need to focus on shadows. When I visit other blogs, the real pros can do shadows beautifully and that's what makes it all look so real. I need to research how to do shadowing and light and dark areas of landscaped.  I used an irregular, small zig zag stitch to outline the mountains. I also used black thread to make them really pop. So much more to learn! 
I just keep giving it a go... hanging in there, trying to get better. It really is all so much fun. I'm up for the challenge!
Keep those finger busy,
Hugs from Mary

Comments

  1. This is lovely. I just started following you and am anxious to see all your wonderful work. I would love to make some art quilts like these. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ghastly Party... It's BYOB!

April Showers Mug Rug Blog Hop